Sunday, January 24, 2010

Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew

I'm not sure what it was about this stew - it's not particularly zesty or flavorful. It just has an amazing comfort food texture, and I can't stop eating it.

It uses 3lbs of beef, so I was relieved chuck stew was on sale at Whole Foods. I had to adapt the recipe a tad due to the usual "oops, I forgot a couple ingredients" drama. The below reflects how I made it.

Crockpot Guinness Beef Stew (Source: Mille Fiori Favoriti)
-3 lbs chuck stew meat
-1 cup flour
-3 cloves chopped garlic
-6 carrots, peeled and chopped
-4 potatoes, chopped
-2 tbsp tomato paste
-1 bottle Guinness Stout
-1 cup beef broth (I used 1 beef bouillon cube dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water)

-Dredge the meat with flour until evenly coated
-In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the beef in a little oil until evenly browned
-While meat is cooking, add vegetables to crockpot stoneware and turn on low setting
-Place browned meat over vegetables
-Mis tomato paste, stout, and broth in a medium bowl, and pour over contents of crockpot
-Cook on low 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment