Saturday, January 16, 2010

Amish Bread

This will likely be the first of many bread posts. I got a breadmaker for Christmas - and I am in love! There's nothing like warm, fresh bread in the morning. Or in the afternoon. Or at night . . .

This recipe is my first foray into baking a loaf that was not from either the manual that came with my machine (Cuisinart CBK-100) or the Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Bread Machine Recipes. This meant that I had to actually read the manual to figure out what order to place ingredients and how to convert recipes.

Fingers crossed! It's rising as I type . . .

Amish Bread (Source: ShooseyQ on Allrecipes - the version noted below lists ingredients in the order in which I had to add them to my breadmaker)
-1/4 cup canola oil
-1 cup + 2 tbsp water
-2 3/4 cups bread flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 cup white sugar
-1 tsp active dry yeast

-Add ingredients to breadmaker in order listed above (or as specified by your breadmaker)
-Set to white bread setting, 1 1/2 lb loaf size, medium crust
-Press start, and let your machine do the work!

*Note: the original recipe suggests stopping the machine and resetting after the first rise to allow a full three rising cycles. It seems that many reviewers didn't find that necessary, so I have skipped it. Here's hoping it works.

Update: This bread is delicious! I love the texture and I think it would make a great sandwich bread. The one bummer - for some reason our dishwasher appears not to be rinsing things very well, and so the loaf is infused with a slight lemon soap taste - bleeh.

No comments:

Post a Comment