Wednesday, December 9, 2009

When the Stars Make You Drool: Pasta Fagioli

I needed a toddler-friendly, preschooler-friendly, nursing-friendly, big-family friendly lunch for getting together with siblings to shoot Christmas pictures of the cousins.

I made the perfect choice. Except for the fact that all the kids were wearing white shirts. Oops.

Enjoy - while wearing dark colors.

Pasta Fagioli (this has been adapted through various sites, but I found it on Christine's Cuisine) - I changed it slightly so the recipbe below reflects what I used
-2 tbsp olive oil
-20 ozs bulk sweet Italian sausage
-1/2 container sliced mushrooms
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 bag julienne carrot
-4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1 14.5 ozs can petite diced tomatoes
-1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
-32 oz. chicken broth
-1 28 ozs can tomato sauce
-Italian seasoning
-1 lb. small dry pasta (I used mini wagon wheels)
-Parmesan for serving

-Brown sausage in a large stockpot
-Remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon
-Saute mushrooms, garlic, carrot and celery, over medium heat until vegetables are soft ( 8-10 minutes)
-Return the sausage to the pot, add the diced tomatoes and juice, stir, and simmer 10 minutes.
-Add beans, chicken broth, tomato sauce, and seasoning and bring to a boil
-Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer at least 30 minutes.
-Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions
-Drain and toss with olive oil to prevent sticking
-Serve with pasta at bottom of bowl and soup ladled ontop
-Add parmesan at table

No picture. Too busy taking pictures of the kids.

2 comments:

  1. So glad it all worked out in the end. Very cute pictures. Here is a tip to keep in mind if you get in a pinch again.

    Substitute for Cake Flour:
    l cup minus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour = l cup sifted cake flour

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're the first person to make a recipe from my blog - thank you :) I love this soup - I actually made it for my sister after she just had her second kid.

    ReplyDelete