Friday, December 18, 2009

Pork Lo Mein

When I was about ten, my parents bought a wok, and suddenly Saturday nights became homemade Chinese food nights. This is a tradition I can't wait to implement in our house when the kids are older. Friday night pizza and movies, Saturday night Chinese food and games . . .

Lo mein is my favorite Chinese takeout item, and this was the first time I have ever made it. I combined a few recipes and made it my own.

Pork Lo Mein
-3 eggs
-5 thin cut boneless pork chops, sliced into thin strips
-3/4 lb linguine fini
-1/2 bag brocolli slaw mix
-1/2 bag shredded red cabbage
-1 red pepper, julienned
-3 sticks celery, thinly sliced
-1 can sliced water chestnuts
-Minced garlic
-4 tsbsp oyster sauce
-4 tbsp tamari
-1/4 cup chicken broth
-Ground ginger

-Cook pasta according to directions on package (linguine fini cooks fast because it's so fine)
-Heat a tbsp or so of oil (I used olive, but would be great with sesame) over high heat in a deep sided skillet or wok
-Beat the eggs, add them to the pan, scramble, and set aside
-Add a little more oil to the pan and saute the pork until browned and fully cooked, then remove from pan
-Add oil as necessary to the pan and stir fry the vegetables until crisp-tender
-Drain the noodles and toss with a tiny amount of oil to keep from sticking.
-Add the noodles to the vegetable mixture
-In a small bowl, mix the broth, oyster sauce, and tamari
-Pour over noodles and vegetables and heat until bubbling
-Return eggs and pork to the mix and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment