Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Baked Ham Rigatoni

Before Mishke and I got married, I didn't eat leftovers. No matter how good something was the night before, it just never seemed appetizing the next day. (I also hate watching movies more than once. I love waking up next to the same man every day of my life, though. Some things are perfect when repeated!)

So Mishke has not only gotten me over my leftover-phobia, but I've discovered some things even taste good cold. Witness: the leftovers to this dish, eaten with a fork straight out of the fridge.

This is so, so good. And this from someone who doesn't love mac and cheese.

Baked Ham Rigatoni
Source: Real Mom Kitchen (I tweaked the recipe slightly and the recipe below reflects the way I made it.)

-16ozs package rigatoni
-1/2 cup butter
-1/2 cup flour
-4 cups
-1.25 cups shredded mozzarella, divided
-8ozs ham steak, chopped into small cubes
-Nutmeg and crushed red pepper
-Butter

-Preheat oven to 425
-Put water on to boil for pasta
-Melt butter in a deep skillet, then whisk in flour with a flat whisk until it forms a paste
-Add milk slowly, whisking continuously until thickened. This takes forever, but don't walk away or you'll bugger up the sauce.
-Cook pasta
-Season sauce; add ham and 1 cup of cheese and stir thoroughly
-Mix drained pasta into sauce, and pour into a greased 9x13 pan and sprinkle with cheese
-Top with remaining 1/4 cup of cheese, and bake for 25 minutes or until bubbling and browned

1 comment:

  1. Hey,

    This looks good. I'm assuming where it says, "4 Cups" after the 1/2 Flour that it's 4 cups of milk?

    Liz

    ReplyDelete