Monday, February 21, 2011

Cuban Black Beans and Rice



The other day some lovely person commented on my blog! Perfect timing to encourage me to start posting again.




We're trying to be much better about our budget as we're currently living on one income. And I know we're certainly not alone. I hate that so many families share the battle with unemployment, and I know we are certainly one of the lucky ones. I'm hoping the recipes I cook can be healthy both for us and for our bank account :)

Today I really wanted to go to the bagel shop, but Mishke reminded me that we really didn't need to spend the extra money. And a pantry meal was born:

Cuban Black Beans and Rice (adapted from this Real Simple recipe)


-2 sweet bell peppers (I used orange and yellow for color - it's a really dreary day here in the Northeast!)


-1/3 onion, finely diced


-Garlic to taste


-2 cans black beans (we used Trader Joe's organic)


-1 cup water


-1 tbsp red wine vinegar


-4 servings of rice


The recipe also calls for cilantro, which we would have used but didn't have on hand. We used minute rice. If using regular rice, you should begin the rice first, as the beans are ready in about 20 minutes.




-Sautee peppers, onion, and garlic until caramelized and softened


-Drain and rinse beans and add to skillet


-Add a cup of water and simmer, covered, for ten minutes.


-During this time we made the instant rice


-Turn off the heat, drizzle with red wine vinegar, and mash some of the beans to thicken


-Serve over rice









No comments:

Post a Comment